GENERAL JOB SUMMARY:
In support of the technical vision of the product line, the Senior Project Engineer provides technical planning and leadership for assigned project(s) through the design, development and implementation activities from product definition and planning through production to release and end of life. For assigned project(s), the Senior Project Engineer is: the design authority; the external and internal customer technical representative; responsible for defining the technical approach, resource requirements and execution of project/program tasks, with a focus on the coordination of internal engineering activities here at KUAS.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
· For project(s)/contract(s) without Project Engineer assignments, performs the Project Engineer roles
Leads the development of program planning technical strategies, technical cost estimates, evaluation of alternatives, risk management, logistics management, cost-performance trade-offs, preparation of data, status updates and presentations at customer reviews.
Manages complex, multi-system, multi-discipline engineering projects working in a hands-on capacity and coordinating cross functional team activities to ensure completion of the project on time and within budget.
Develops project requirements from contract scope and provides technical solutions
Serves as the central resource with design, process, manufacturing, test, quality and business development as the product moves to production working closely with lead engineer to ensure competent technical design is completed in a timely manner.
Works with the program management on assessing customer requirements, developing technical solutions, and the integration of requirements into the product line design and leads design reviews.
Provides team leadership and coaching:
· Provides team with a vision of the program technical objectives
· Creates an environment oriented to trust, open communication, creative thinking and cohesive team effort
· Facilitates problem solving and collaboration
· Ensures discussions and decisions lead toward closure
· Knows and understands all technical contractual requirements and how they are allocated across the program Integrated Product Team (IPT) structure, if IPTs are applicable
· Coordinates with internal and external customers as necessary
· Ensures the engineering team is familiar with and compliant with the company’s and the customer’s needs, specifications, design goals, the development process, design standards, techniques and tools to support task performance
· Maintains a system-level perspective on the project and facilitates communication across the team to eliminate conflict and maximize efficiency
· Ensures deliverables that are prepared to satisfy program requirements are technically compliant with applicable requirements, delivered on time, and meet cost objectives
· Lead/manage various integrated project teams on assigned projects
· Works with IPT Leads (IPTL) and functional management to obtain necessary resources to support the resource requirements
· Coordinates the review, presentation and release of designs, drawings, analysis and other documentation to support requirements
· Coordinates with the Program Manager (PM) and functional management to discuss program impediments or issues / delays in completing tasks
· Acting as or Working closely with the Control Account Manager (CAM) or Project Engineer, monitors and coordinates status reporting of IPT activities against the program plan: technical scope, cost and schedule
· Keeps the overarching design authority informed of task accomplishments, issues, solutions, and status
· Escalates issues which cannot be resolved at the IPT level and works with the Chief Engineer and Program Manager to determine and implement a resolution
· Provides guidance to the engineering team based on management direction
Implements execution of company engineering processes. Complies with released processes and provides feedback on engineering process improvements.
Integrates Customer, Subcontractor and Company requirements and efforts relative to the program to ensure overall success.
Interfaces Subcontractors / Suppliers as required and in coordination with Supply Chain Management
Reviews deliverables with Program Manager for content and quality
Works cross-functionally as a project leader to achieve program requirements.
Interfaces with peer Sr. Project Engineers, Chief Engineers, Program IPT Leads, as well as functional management and engineering teams / personnel
Provide mentorship to Project Engineer(s) and team members
Assists in accomplishing human resource strategies by communicating and enforcing values, policies, and procedures; mentors engineers assigned to project, providing performance input to the appraisal of employees, and reviewing/recognizing job contributions
Other Job Functions
Other duties may be assigned
Participates in achieving the technical objectives of the company’s product line design strategy working closely with Chief Engineers or other Sr. Project Engineers to ensure the design strategy is in line with the product line vision
No direct reports
Achieves results through leading IPTs or engineers assigned through a matrixed environment